June 25, 2018 at 01:04 PM
By skip g
skip gSouthborough, MA
Most golfers curve their ball in the opposite direction they were hoping for! (ex: most golfers experience a slice, when they truly would like to hit a draw). The best advice I can provide you… if you can relate to this….is to learn to hit YOUR curve! The key, being LEARN!
A couple of very important factors to remember when striking a golf ball….
1) The FACE of the club STARTS the ball in its INITIAL DIRECTION.
2) The PATH of the club CURVES the ball.
3) The ball will curve in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION of the PATH.
Without getting too, too technical….remember these keys:
1) The relationship between the PATH & CLUB FACE at impact….must be opposite! What does that mean?
a) If the PATH of the Club is traveling to the RIGHT…the face must be slightly LEFT of the path at impact to curve the ball to the LEFT.
b) Conversely, if the PATH of the Club is traveling to the LEFT...the face must be slightly RIGHT of the path at impact to curve the ball to the RIGHT.
2) Learn how path/face relationships effect ball flight. Start by working on ONE WAY….right-to-left OR left to right. No matter which one you choose, select one and keep working on it until it becomes repeatable on a regular basis. For the short-to-near term…ONLY try to hit that shot every time!!!!!
3) After you become quite comfortable with the ball traveling in one direction….work on curving the ball in the opposite direction by swinging the club completely opposite of what you have been working on. Once you advance to this step, you will become quite adept in allowing the ball to travel any way you would like….awesome!
Students are amazed when the follow this routine:
1) LEARN the motion
2) REHEARSE the motion…repeating the same motion, over an extended period
3) APPLY the rehearsed motion to the ball
So…FIRST…Learn YOUR Curve…then work on the opposite curve…to play better!
Mike D., Titleist StaffAshland, MA
Abby L.Providence, RI
Tyler HAppleton, WI
Darryl MWichita, KS
Steve LFramingham, MA
Gabriel GCedar Park, TX
Haven't registered for Team Titleist yet?