PGA TOUR | The Masters
Playing in his first Masters, Titleist Brand Ambassador Will Zalatoris was the only player to post four rounds under par (70-68-71-70), posting the best finish (solo second) by a Masters rookie since 1982.
- Zalatoris – who plays a Pro V1 golf ball, TSi3 driver and fairways, T100 irons and Vokey Design SM8 wedges among his Titleist setup – now has six top-10 and 11-top-25 finishes in 15 starts this season on the PGA TOUR.
- He is also tied for the most top-10 finishes (16) across the worldwide professional tours since the beginning of 2020.
- This was Zalatoris’ second major start as a professional (third overall), having finished T-6 at the 2020 U.S. Open at Winged Foot.
- Following last week’s victory at the Valero Texas Open, Titleist Brand Ambassador Jordan Spieth – playing a Pro V1x golf ball, TSi3 driver, T100 irons, Vokey Design SM8 wedges and Scotty Cameron putter – finished T-3 following a closing 2-under 70.
- It was Spieth’s fifth Top-3 Masters finish in eight starts.
- Spieth led the field in Greens In Regulation, hitting 56 of 72 (78 percent) for the week, while Zalatoris was second at 74 percent (53 of 72). Zalatoris also led the field in par-4 scoring.
- From Spieth: “Having seen him (Zalatoris) progress and his confidence level just continue to progress over the last year and a half, I’m not surprised. It is very difficult this weekend to come out in the position he was in in the final group on Saturday and to – it’s just a different feeling. Then in this wind, to control his high ball flight and to make putts on these greens when you don’t see other greens like this, especially in windy conditions, I thought it’s extremely impressive.”
- Zalatoris and Spieth were among the 60 players who teed up a Titleist golf ball at the Masters, more than six times the nearest competitor with nine.
- Both also teed up a TSi3 driver – the most played driver model (15) this week at Augusta National.
CHAMPION PLAYS SCOTTY CAMERON NEWPORT 2
A longtime Scotty Cameron player, the Masters Champion trusted a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 tour prototype that he recently put in play at the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play Championship.
- After tapping in on 18 to claim his first major championship, the champion carried the putter with him as he made the famous walk through the patrons and toward the Augusta National clubhouse.
- The winning Newport 2 previously served as a backup putter for the champion.
- At the Match Play, he worked with Scotty Cameron Tour Rep Drew Page to change the grip and shaft, and match the specs to his previous gamer (a Newport 2 GSS Timeless that he had used since the 2020 BMW Championship). After testing several models that week, he put the Newport 2 in play.
- This week at Augusta, he finished tied for 10th in Putts Per Green in Regulation, 18th in Strokes Gained: Putting and T-8 in one-putt percentage.
WILL ZALATORIS ON HIS TITLEIST EQUIPMENT:
ON HIS PRO V1: “I play the Pro V1. It’s a little bit less spinning. I’m kind of a high spin guy with the irons. Being in Texas, you want to try to fight the wind, so Pro V1 is the ball that fits me. … It’s absolutely the most consistent ball I’ve ever played. Played a Pro V1 basically my entire life. Coming down the stretch, you’ve got a number that you got to hit, I know I can hit it every single time.”
ON HIS TSi3 DRIVER: “I play a TSi3 – it's built with ATI technology, which I love bragging about how it’s metal made for spaceships. I absolutely love it. It’s the longest driver I’ve ever played. And on top of that it’s the most versatile driver I’ve ever played. Can keep it low, can hit it high, can work it. Typically, I like to hit kind of a going left-to-right fade. … It’s the best driver Titleist has ever made – I put it in play the week before the U.S. Open and have had a lot of success with it since.
ON HIS SM8 WEDGES (AND “HAPPY GILMORE” STAMPING): “I play an F grind in the 50, an S grind in the 55 and I play a T grind in the 60. I spent a lot of time on the 60. I used to play a K grind but the T grind is the most versatile wedge I’ve ever played … The 60 hilariously says on it, ‘Mr. Gilmore, I’m your caddy.’ I’ve been embracing it since a lot of people think I look like Mr. Gilmore’s caddy (in the movie ‘Happy Gilmore’) so I put that on my wedge.”
WHAT’S IN WILL ZALATORIS’ BAG?
Golf Ball: Pro V1
Driver: TSi3 9.0° with a Fujikura Speeder 757 TR X shaft
Fairway Metal: TSi3 16.5° with a Fujikura Atmos 8 Red shaft
Utility iron: U500 3-iron with a Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 shaft
Irons: T100 4-PW with Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue shafts
Wedges: Vokey Design SM8 50.08F, 54.10S at 55, 60T with Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue shafts
WHAT’S IN JORDAN SPIETH’S BAG?
Golf Ball: Pro V1x
Driver: TSi3 10.0° driver with a Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 X shaft
Fairway Metal: TS2 15.0° with a Fujikura Ventus Blue 7 X shaft
Hybrid: 818 H2 21.0° with a Graphite Design Tour AD DI-95 X shaft
Irons: T100 4-9 irons with True Temper Project X 6.5 shafts
Wedges: Vokey Design SM8 46.08F pitching wedge with a True Temper Project X 6.5 shaft and Vokey Design SM8 52.08F, 56.10S, 60T proto wedges with True Temper Project X 6.0 shafts
Putter: Scotty Cameron 009 putter