As the 2017 European Tour season came to a close at the DP World Championship, Titleist golf ball loyalist Tommy Fleetwood (Pro V1x) claimed the Race to Dubai title, rounding-off another year of success for the #1 ball in golf.
Fleetwood's season (the best of his career to date) included two wins, first at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship in his first event after switching to a Titleist golf ball, and second at the HNA Open de France. Fleetwood added two runner-up finishes to his victories, as well as a 4th place finish at the U.S. Open.
“My ultimate goal in life is to be the best player in the world,” said Fleetwood after he was awarded the Harry Vardon Trophy. “That will always be the same. Whether I achieve it or not is another thing but I’ll always strive for that.”
• • •
ADDITIONAL EUROPEAN TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
- Once again, more players relied upon the performance excellence of the Pro V1 franchise at every one of the 48 events making up the Race to Dubai, with Titleist golf ball loyalists amassing 30 victories this season, including three Major Championships.
- The performance excellence of the Pro V1 family was evident in each of these victories, including momentous wins for Titleist Brand Ambassadors Jordan Spieth (Pro V1x) and Justin Thomas (Pro V1x), who also trusted Titleist golf clubs tee-to-green to claim Major Championship victories at the Open Championship and the PGA Championship, respectively. In fact, Titleist golf ball players collected a total of 12 Major victories across the men’s, women’s and seniors’ games in 2017.
- This season, an overwhelming 73% of all European Tour players chose to tee up a Pro V1 or Pro V1x this season, compared to 9% for the nearest competitor.
- Titleist unveiled new 718 prototype irons at the HNA Open de France (as well as the PGA Tour's Quicken Loans National) and new 818 prototype hybrids two weeks later at the Scottish Open and the PGA Tour's John Deere Classic.
- Titleist Brand Ambassador Rafa Cabrera Bello became the first player to win with new Titleist 718 irons, capturing the Scottish Open the first time he used his new 718 MB irons in competition.
- Titleist Brand Ambassador Jordan Spieth put a new 718 T-MB 3-iron in the bag shorlty before this year's Open Championship. His amazing recovery shot with the new club on No. 13 at Royal Birkdale helped turn the momentum around in the final round as he claimed his first Claret Jug.
- Titleist golf ball loyalist Branden Grace (Pro V1x) made history when he fired a stunning round of 62 at Royal Birkdale – the first time a 62 had been recorded in a Major Championship.
- At the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship, Titleist golf ball loyalist Tyrrell Hatton (Pro V1x) successfully defended his 2016 title, making him only the fourth player in history to defend the same event for his first two wins.
- And finally, Titleist golf ball loyalist SSP Chawrasia (Pro V1x) became the first player whose first four wins were in their home country. Chawrasia also became the first player from India to successfully defend a European Tour title.
• • •
The exact moment that Tommy learned he had won the Race to Dubai title:
A large trophy for a big accomplishment.
The numbers don't lie.
Some great insight into the marathon that Tour players like Tommy Fleetwood run in pursuit of the season-long Race to Dubai.
The textbook swing that produced a memorable season.
Fleetwood's first victory in 2017 came at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship, a title he'll defend this January.
His second victory came at the HANA Open de France, where he edged Titleist Brand Ambassador Peter Uihlein (Pro V1x) by a single shot.
Here's to many more victories for this year's European Tour No. 1!
Congratulations, Tommy, from all of #TeamTitleist!