PGA TOUR | Corales Puntacana Championship
Matt Wallace rolled his NEW Pro V1x golf ball in for 24 birdies over the four days in Punta Cana – including four in a row from Nos. 13-16 coming down the stretch Sunday – to claim his first PGA TOUR victory.
- The 32-year-old Englishman and four-time DP World Tour winner closed in 6-under 66 on a windy Corales course to win by one shot, topping a leader board that featured five Titleist golf ball players in the top six positions.
WALLACE VICTORIOUS IN FOURTH START WITH NEW PRO V1x
- Matt Wallace's victory Sunday in Punta Cana came in just his fourth start playing the NEW Pro V1x golf ball, and just his sixth start since making the switch to a Titleist golf ball after playing all of the 2021-22 season and the first six events of this season with a competitive model.
- Wallace teed up a Pro V1 to start the new year at the WM Phoenix Open.
- Two weeks later, at the Honda Classic, Wallace made the move to 2023 Pro V1x after a testing session with Fordie Pitts of Titleist Golf Ball R&D on the range at PGA National.
- “Matt was looking for a bit more traj and spin in certain parts of his game and ’23 X checked those boxes,” Pitts said. “He loved the flight and overall playability and put it right in play that week after testing it. He’d never considered himself a good candidate for Pro V1x, but it’s been a great match.”
- Wallace ended 2022 at 98th in Strokes Gained: Approach and 11th in Strokes Gained: Around the Green.
- After switching to a Titleist golf ball, he has improved to 31st in SG: Approach and 2nd in SG: Around the Green.
- (The jump doesn’t include this week’s victory, as Shotlink wasn’t used in Punta Cana.) He finished last season 142nd and 146th in those categories, respectively.
PUNTACANA CHAMP WINS WITH TSR DRIVER, VOKEY WEDGES, SCOTTY CAMERON PUTTER
- The winner of the Corales Puntacana Championship, in addition to his NEW Pro V1x golf ball, gamed a TSR3 driver, three Vokey Design SM9 wedges and a Scotty Cameron P5 GSS tour prototype putter in capturing his first PGA TOUR title.
- The champ put all four clubs in play to start 2023 after playing with competitive models last season.
What’s in the Bag? | Corales Puntacana Champion
Golf Ball: NEW Titleist Pro V1x
Driver: TSR3 9.0° | Aldila Rogue Black 130 TX
Wedges: Vokey Design SM9 50.08F, 54.10S, WedgeWorks 60A wedges | NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X
Putter: Scotty Cameron P5 GSS tour prototype
LPGA TOUR | LPGA Drive On Championship
Celine Boutier, playing the NEW Pro V1x golf ball, birdied the first hole of an all-Pro V1x playoff with Georgia Hall to claim her third career LPGA title.
- Boutier, 29, closed in 4-under 68, getting up-and-down for birdie on the par-5 18th at Superstition Mountain to force the playoff at 20 under par.
- It was the same story on No. 18 in the playoff, with Boutier hitting a clutch pitch to 5 feet and rolling in her Pro V1x for the clinching birdie.
THREE-IN-A-ROW FOR NEW PRO V1 & PRO V1x
- NEW Pro V1 and Pro V1x players have now won the last three events on the LPGA Tour:
- Last week on the Ladies European Tour, Titleist Brand Ambassador Pauline Roussin-Bouchard – playing NEW Pro V1x – posted a final round 64 and 15-under total in Singapore to earn her second career LET victory.
- The 22-year-old, who also plays a TSR3 driver and fairway among her Titleist setup, made eight birdies in Saturday’s final round on her to way to a four-shot victory at Laguna National Resort Club.
PGA TOUR/DP WORLD TOUR | WGC-Dell Match Play | EQUIPMENT NOTES FROM AUSTIN COUNTRY CLUB
Titleist Brand Ambassador Cameron Young, playing a NEW Pro V1x golf ball, TSR driver and 14 Titleist clubs, earned his best finish of ‘23, making a run to the finals that featured 83 consecutive holes without a bogey.
- In his first six matches at Austin Country Club, Young went 6-for-6, playing those 100 holes in 39 under.
- In the semifinals, Young rallied from 2 down with 3 holes to play, to beat the World’s third-ranked player on the 19th hole.
- In his opening match Wednesday, Young started with nine consecutive 3’s to make the turn in 27.
What’s in the Bag? | Cameron Young
Golf Ball: NEW Titleist Pro V1x
Driver: TSR3 9.0° | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 75 TX
Fairway Metal: TSR2+ 14.5° | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 85 TX
Utility Iron: T200 2 | Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 130 X
Irons: T100 4-5 | Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 130 X and 620 MB 6-9 | Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 130 X
Wedges: Vokey Design SM9 48.10F, 52.12F, 58.08M, WedgeWorks 60T (@62) | Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 130 X
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5 tour prototype
Three of the four semifinalists played a Scotty Cameron putter, including the top two ranked players in the Official World Golf Ranking
Three of the four semifinalists also played Vokey Wedges
- OWGR #1: SM8 50.12F, 56.14F, WedgeWorks SM9 60T
- OWGR #2: SM9 54.10S, WedgeWorks 58.06K
- Cameron Young: SM9 48.10F, 52.12F, 58.08M, WedgeWorks 60T (@62)
- Seven of the top 10 players in the world are currently gaming at least two Vokey wedges.
DP WORLD TOUR/SUNSHINE TOUR | Jonsson Workwear Open
Nick Bachem (Pro V1x) claimed his first DP World Tour title with a four-shot victory in Johannesburg, closing things out with a flawless 8-under 64.
- Bachem, 23, of Germany, played his first six holes Sunday in 4 under before pulling away with a final-nine 32.
- He made only one bogey over the weekend on his way to a winning total of 24 under.
KORN FERRY TOUR | Club Car Championship
David Skinns (Pro V1x) earned his third career Korn Ferry Tour victory, carding a birdie on his 71st hole en route to a one-shot victory at The Landings Golf & Athletic Club.
- Skinns was the only player to post four rounds in the 60’s (67-68-68-68).
PGA TOUR CHAMPIONS | The Galleri Classic
Playing a NEW Pro V1x golf ball, David Toms went wire-to-wire at Mission Hills, carding a final round 7-under 65 to earn his second win in three starts and the fourth of his PGA TOUR Champions career.
- Since putting the 2023 model in play to begin the season (5 events), Toms is a combined 60 under par and has not finished outside of the top 15.
FIVE OUT OF SIX FOR NEW PRO V1 & PRO V1x
- With Toms’ victory, 2023 Pro V1 and Pro V1x models players have now won five out of six events to start the season on PGA TOUR Champions:
PGA TOUR LATINOAMÉRICA | Roberto De Vicenzo Memorial 100 Years
Titleist Brand Ambassador Chandler Blanchet hit a walk-off wedge to win in Argentina, holing his Pro V1x golf ball from 124 yards on the 72nd hole for eagle and a three-shot victory at Ranelagh Golf Club.
- Blanchet’s final swing, with his Vokey Design SM9 50.12 wedge, capped a back-nine 30 for a final round 5-under 66.
- “I hit a good tee shot, and I was right where I wanted to be,” Blanchet, 28, told PGATOUR.com. “I knew I was going to have somewhere around 120 yards. It was a perfect shot. I was in a divot a little bit. It came out a little lower than expected but it obviously worked out well.”
What’s in the Bag? | Chandler Blanchet
Golf Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
Driver: TSR3 9.0°
Fairway Metal: TSR3 15.0°
Utility Iron: U•505 3
Irons: T100 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey Design SM9 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11 tour prototype